25 March 2011

To the Cederberg and beyond

We had a family get-away in the Beautiful Cederberg this long-weekend. What we discovered was that Life is hard (very hard) without electricity! Especially when it's 45 in the shade!! That's degrees Celcius!! I felt like I could die! I haven't been that HOT in a long time! Luckily in the end we had a great time and everybody enjoyed their stay, more so when the weather cooled off a bit!
 
 
Cederberg
 
The weather in the Cederberg is very fickle, the one night sprinkled water would evaporate from your face in 5 seconds, the other we actually slept with a double-thick duvet it was so chilly. So if you do venture there - be prepared!! And I wouldn't recommend it to anyone in midsummer! No way!!!
 
 
Jenni's morning walkies

 
The past 2 weeks have been super busy and now that I'm on leave I am working harder than I ever do at work... and there's loads more to do! I have to wash Jenni before Jenn and I are off to Robertson to visit my Mom's family. So, I'm just very quickly updating the blog before heading off to find my cousin a gift for her bachelorettes and then while Gran and Grandpa will be puppy-sitting I will be sipping some of the valley's gifts... some of the best wine SA has to offer! :) Can't wait.
 
But before we can go I have to run a couple of errands and spray some Margaret Roberts organic remedy on some rusty/mildewy and bug-infested plants. :P I've already been running around the garden with my polkadot gloves planting some new lettuce seedlings. Johan says I look like Patricia Lewis (if you're South-African you'll appreciate it ;) The wind is blowing gail force and I always forget to tie my hair up, which inevitably gets in my mouth, nose ears and I  repeatedly have to shake my head from side to side to get it out of my face ;) lol I do look like an idiot I must say! :D But I'm always 'just QUICKLY' planting someting and in summer the wind howls here nonstop! I will have to try and make a plan to keep some hair clips close to my polkadot gloves!
 
Oh yes, and we had our very first tomatoes from the garden this week and they were really yummy!! It was hard to say whether it was the tomatoes or the macademia oil or the combination of basil and mozarella with it, but they were Awesome!! I've also made some soup and a salad with our abundant crop of radishes! They're fabulous little plants and so easy to grow. I will try to get a picture coz they're mighty cute as well. This week I also eventually collected some of my earthworm farm's castings. It looks SO rich, crumbly and devine for any plant that would be lucky enough to get some of this super-compost! Hmmm, now to decide which plants to give it to??
 
*
 
Right, so I've tied my hair up, diluted the Margaret Roberts fungicide and insecticide and I'm off to the garden. While I'm there I will also select a candidate for the precious earthworm castings. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment