16 February 2011

Puppy dreams and hiccups

This is so cute, Jenni's having a very animated puppy dream and her little paws are pacing the air along with soft yelps to encourage them... it sounds almost like when she has hiccups (which happens when she eats her breakfast too fast). Speaking of which, I've been having some trouble with this little food connoisseur...


Sleepy-ness

The breeder gave us a recipe for their "puppy stew", cooked with beef/chicken/tripe mince, rice, lentils and a little green veg. I lovingly made a whole pot full with the beef and tripe mince, cabbage and very little carrot, but little Genevieve had NO interest in eating it. So I made another batch with chicken and beef mince, some spinach, beans and carrot (very small quantities) finely chopped and she still wasn't keen on it.

I called the breeder and she suggested that perhaps lady Genevieve didn't like carrots, however when I gave her a raw carrot to play with the little alligator chomped it all up, so that was clearly not it? The breeder also suggested I use cabbage in stead of other green veg, since she was used to eating that before... so I did that and she ate it for 2 meals and then refused to again. Then I put quite a bit of raw lean beef mince over the top and that seemed to do the trick, however the novelty lasted only for a day and then she stopped eating it.???


In the end I sprinkled some fine biltong shavings over the top and then she ate it like a little pig. Seems like she's just "lekkerbekkig" (full of nonsense with her food). :P


However, later on not even the biltong would entice her to eat her stew and she wouldn't even touch it. I was at my wit's end and decided to give her only the puppy pellets with milk, since she refused to eat anything else!! But milk is apparently not the best to give them? So I thought it best to try and cut that out as well... it could also just be the heat, it's a really scorching summer and I can see Jenni is very hot, even inside the house on the tiles. Strangely enough she just loves the puppy pellets all crunchy and just like that, so why fight it! It's simple, I know it's a balanced diet and she actually eats it! So now she gets just that! Plus I also give her 3 teaspoons of Hills canned puppy  food with breakfast and dinner and maybe a little milk to spoil her in the evenings. ;) She's such a cutie! I just can't resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment