22 February 2011

The Organic Nut house

It took me 5 times longer than usual to get ready for work this morning! First of all I had to take the puppy outside, then I gave her breakfast. Good news - she now eats it all within 20 min. :) Next I had to find Sashi (the cat) and give him antibiotics (he's been sick, but the vet doesn't really know what's wrong?). He spat the pill out on the floor, so I had to repeat the procedure. Then I had to watch the cats eat for 10 min to make sure Sash is eating his food and not getting sick... Last but not least I fed the poor fish, Lang, who is still living in a bucket!! :( And yes, the pond is still not completely fixed up! It has water in now, but the one spout is leaking and I can already see how they're going to mess everything up again and then we have to catch Lang AGAIN! :P So I rather just keep him out of harms way.


I have surrendered to the Suchness of all these people messing around our house and not ever getting it done... however all Suchness is subject to the inevitability of the only true constant (change)... and I blow my top every now and then at the pure uselessness of certain people (eg. the carpenter who arranged for us to open the house so he can install a door to our bathroom, then he arrives without the hinges to actually attach the door to the wall and so he reschedules... this happened 2 weeks ago as u might have guessed he hasn't been back yet to put the door up).  ??? I guess I will also have to accept the fact that not even the new house will ever be flawless. Like everything else in life there will always be a balance between flaws and perfection and without at least one flaw nothing is normal or complete!? Or at least that is what we tell ourselves in order to remain semi-sane and to find enough hope to carry on with life, love, paying tax etc.


At least the cats have started settling a little and are keeping their distance from Jenni, which I truly appreciate! I also have some photos to brag with the super-Fresh produce from our very own organic garden! :) It has been merely 2 months since we started the garden (there was literally NOTHING but weeds and clay before) and she (Mother nature) is already providing wholesome organic produce for the house!! 
 Home-grown organic lettuce from the garden
 Super-easy organic herbs and veggies

This is why I find nature just so Fascinating! Look at these Fantastic lettuce, herbs and veggies from our own garden!  They're not all completely perfect, but still completely wholesome, fat free and nutritious! Organic gardening is just like Real life, where you have to deal with imperfection - if you discard everything with imperfection you will have nothing to live on! All perfectly in theme with my new philosophy on life, the Universe and everything.


And once you get over the one or 2 spots on your spinach leaves and washed off the odd bug or 2 from the beans you will find you have WAY more than you could ever need. We are munching more salad than I've ever eaten in my life and we still have more! This is one of the most amazing things about a garden, it gives back so much more than you put in!! Especially when you grow it organically. I know it's only been 3 months, but I am almost certain that the companion planting, luring of beneficial insects, pine needle mulch, copper wire around seedlings and snail traps (filled with beer) will help us to continue with this successful crop production!!


I wish more people would switch off the television and start digging in some compost and plant a few beans/lettuce/spinach/celery. It's so easy and so rewarding!! And the herbs of course are even easier!! Hope I get someone's hands off the remote control and into the soil? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I've just started - planted my first veggies!! I can't wait to eat from my garden. Your lettuce looks fan-flipping- tactic!!! Are you growing tomatoes too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Christine! :) You should see the spinach! And some of the other veg too.

    The magic of eating fresh from the garden = you only pick as much as you need at a time and the rest remains fresh on the plant :) I will post some more pics tomorrow and yes, I've got some tomatoes (still green) too. Can't wait to taste home-grown ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx Sprig! :)

    Christine, I posted some of my cherry tomatoes on a new post - have a look.

    ReplyDelete